Do you know what guidelines to follow to avoid sunburn? On many occasions, the rush to get a tanned skin, or the fact of not taking preventive measures before being exposed to the sun, leads to burns.
The damage caused by sunburn consists of an excess of oxidation that leads to the death of keratinocytes. The people most prone to sunburn are those with a light phototype, that is, light skin, eyes and hair.
The areas most affected by sunburn are the scalp in people who do not have hair, the ears and the neckline, whose skin is thinner. Here are 5 guidelines to avoid sunburn.
1. Topical photoprotection to avoid sunburn
Topical cosmetic products protect us from the short-term effects of radiation, in addition to providing long-term benefits. This way, you can avoid sunburn.
They contain solar filters that must meet the enforceable requirements of safety, efficacy and versatility. They must also be cosmetically pleasing, not stain and allow their formulation in different forms of application.
2. Oral photoprotection
Combining a topical photoprotection with an oral photoprotection will be the best option to avoid sunburn. It has the advantage of protecting the entire skin by supplying the losses that rubbing, sweat and forgetting to reapply the product can cause topically.
In most of these nutritional supplements, it is common to find substances such as beta-carotene, Polypodium leucotomos, vitamin C and vitamin E, polyphenols and fatty acids. It is important to remember that treatment must begin at least 15 days before sun exposure.
3. Protective barriers from the sun to avoid sunburn
It is important to remember the following recommendations as protective barriers from the sun :
- Avoid exposure to the sun during the hours of most intense radiation: between 12 and 16 h.
- Take an umbrella to the beach or pool, and wear hats or caps if you are going to carry out activities and sports outdoors.
- Protective clothing: It has been shown that wearing protective clothing when taking sunbaths can decrease the number of acquired melanocytic nevi. There is a UV protection factor for fabrics called FPU, which varies depending on the type of fabric, moisture of the fibres and color, among others.
- Use approved sunglasses: it protects not only our eyes but also the periocular area from the effects of UV radiation. Goggles are recommended to block 99% of UVA and UVB radiation.
- Stay in the shade or under the trees: this will also reduce the impact of direct radiation. However, we must take into account the indirect radiation of seawater, sand or snow.
4. Hydration and nutrition
The water in the skin performs a specific function, as it maintains its structure and barrier function, ensures elasticity and preserves cell differentiation.
During sun exposure, we lose water, and therefore it is necessary to ingest it regularly and, after exposure, to provide topical moisturizing active ingredients to regain the hydric tone of the skin.
Eat a balanced diet, rich in essential fatty acids, which restore the skin barrier and have an anti-inflammatory effect, in antioxidants, which neutralize the effect of free radicals. Also, drinks based on natural juices and green tea will help maintain a healthy tan.
5. Use aftersun
You should not replace it with a moisturizing cream because it is specifically indicated to soothe, balance, regenerate and hydrate the skin after the sun and, also, it helps to maintain the tan.
The aftersun is formulated to repair cell damage caused by exposure to the sun. Balances, decongests, reduces inflammation and helps fight free radicals caused by solar radiation.
Thanks to its moisturizing power, it is possible to avoid dryness, tightness and flaking of the skin, which are so common in summer. Also, it reduces redness, soothes burns and refreshes the skin after a day of prolonged exposure to the sun.
The aftersun prepares the skin for new sun exposures, which is why it intensifies the tan, and by avoiding flaking, the one you have achieved will gradually disappear.
The most important thing to take care of your skin, avoid sunburn and get a nice tan, the application of sunscreen is essential. Also, follow as much as possible the recommendations that we have given you in this article. Now, to enjoy the summer !!