Migrating your Drupal site to WordPress might seem very challenging, but with the help of this guide, we will make it much easier for you, whether you want to enlist an expert to do it for you or do it by yourself. This guide will explain exactly how and why you should switch to WordPress—the internet’s most popular CMS.
If you have intermediate to advanced level of technical skill and sufficient time, you can migrate your Drupal website’s content to WordPress by yourself. If you lack the technical skills or the time to perform this migration, we recommend you hire a professional service.
Why Migrate to WordPress?
- WordPress is the most popular CMS in the world, occupying over 60% of the CMS market share and having a third of all websites on the internet using it.
- WordPress is much cheaper, with plans upto 4x cheaper than Drupal.
- Easier to use for beginners in web designing and development, while Drupal requires a sufficient amount of technical expertise to use.
- Being the most popular CMS, WordPress has a very large community and therefore constantly updates and produces more efficient plugins, themes and other elements of the platform. The community also is very supportive of beginners.
Pre-migration process checklist
Before you begin migration, perform the following steps:
- Back up your Drupal site in order to prevent accidental loss of data during migration process.
- Create an inventory of your content and leave behind all outdated content. Decide whether you’ll only migrate content or revamp the entire structure of your site, whether the URL structure changes and so on to ensure a smooth migration experience.
- Ensure SEO preservation by using services like Xenu Link, and thus preserve your site’s rankings (This can also be done by the professional migration service).
- Allot sufficient time for the migration process.
Step by Step Migration Process
If you have the technical expertise of a beginner, it is advisable to enlist a professional service online, otherwise mistakes made during the process could affect long term functionality of your website. Services like CMS2CMS and gConverter do a thorough job for a reasonable price. They will also perform SEO Preservation, as mentioned before.
If you have the time and the technical expertise, follow these steps to migrate your site.
Step 1 – Get suitable hosting
This guide assumes you have a hosting provider as you already have a pre-existing Drupal powered website. Your hosting provider needs to support WordPress installation for this to work, and if not, reasonably priced ones are easily available online for purchase.
Step 2 – Plugin Installation
The easiest way to migrate to WordPress is to use a plugin, and the FG Drupal to WordPress is most commonly used as it has a very simple to follow process. The free version covers everything required in a basic Drupal installation, but you might need the premium version if you have a significant amount of Drupal customizations.
After logging on to your WordPress website, go to Plugins > Add New option on the dashboard. Install the plugin by searching “FG Drupal to WordPress” in the search bar and then clicking on the Install Now option when it turns up.
After the installation process is completed, click Activate, and the plugin is installed!
Step 3- Identifying Drupal Database Parameters
Before the plugin can be used to migrate content to WordPress, you will need to identify a few specific parameters from your Drupal website, such as the username, password, hostname, database name and prefixes.
Using an FTP client like FileZilla, access your files and navigate to site/default directory and open settings.php, and now you can identify all the required parameters. Keep all these parameters ready for step 4.
Step 4- Exporting the content to WordPress
Get back to your WordPress website, navigate to the Tools tab on the dashboard, and using Import menu, click the Run Importer, and fill in the Drupal database parameters. You can export your media, if any, using the plugin. Increase the timeout limit for each media file to ensure a smooth running. Configure everything according to your personal preference. Click on the Start/Resume button after customizing everything to your preference
After the migration is complete, scroll to the end of the page and click on Modify internal links, which updates all internal links to the new WordPress structure.
Shifting from Drupal to WordPress Migration is not very complicated, and can achieve with minimal technical know-how and sufficient time, as shown in this guide. WordPress is much easier and cheaper to use, and can even be used by beginners in web design and development. It also has an edge over Drupal with its feature rich system, and will give your website an added advantage.